Thursday, November 11, 2010

Storm watch: a lover's promise


It's the time of year I start thinking greedily about snow.

The dog and I hiked on the Piedmont ski trails this morning. The trails around Duluth are brown and muddy. But that could change soon. When I read "8 inches or more," I swoon.

This notice from the National Weather Service reads to me like a love letter by telegram, promising all kinds of great things in short crisp phrases.

..POTENTIAL FOR HEAVY SNOW IN THE NORTHLAND THIS WEEKEND...

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS: SNOWFALL TOTALS THIS WEEKEND WILL RANGE FROM LIGHT ACCUMULATION OF AN INCH OR TWO...TO 8 INCHES OR MORE. ALTHOUGH THE LOCATION OF THE GREATEST AMOUNTS IS SOMEWHAT UNCERTAIN...THE BEST CHANCE TO RECEIVE 4 INCHES OR GREATER LIES EAST OF A LINE FROM ELY...TO HIBBING...AND MILLE LACS LAKE.

That means Duluth and the North Shore are in the right place for some of the white stuff.

But I've been burned by promises before. November rolls by, with one gray day turning into another. Warmer air by Lake Superior makes early snowfalls turn to cold rain here by the lakeshore. 

Am I ready to open my heart to weather forecasts again?

1 comment:

Bayfieldwis.com said...

Looks like the big one is going
to hit this time! Get out those
skis and wax them up.